Blog Archive

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Finding the rhythm

KS-Saturday

Not everyday is a 5 star day.  I'm not saying that in any kind of complaining way, its just that some days are just days. It was a good day today,  nice roads, mountain twists and turns, irresponsible passing maneuvers, and excellent food.  But after the roadblock/protest we went through yesterday, which Chip described very well, but is still one of those things where you can't put the feelings in to words.  It was the single most intense traveling situation Ive ever been in .  So with that being said, hopefully you can understand why I think today was a bit mundane.  Not that its a bad thing, I thoroughly enjoyed today's ride.  The weather has been great, warm at the lower elevations, but crossing the 6000ft mark has you zipping up any open vent you can get your hands on.   We finished our day in San Cristobal,  a beautiful town with a large central area that has not changed quickly with the times, which makes it the tourist attraction that it is.  We found a small hotel outside the main area for just over $20, with secure parking for the bikes.  Which also happened to be right next to Mr.Taco.  Our last food sample for the night was tacos Al Pastor.  Marinated, fire grilled spit of pork, sliced onto tortillas, topped with a slice of warm pineapple.  For a whopping 40 cents a piece, we might have had more than we initially planned. 
  I guess if I title the post,  I should write something about the title.  We left Virginia on the 28th of October,  and it has felt like a constant battle of mechanical issues, borders, language,  and logistics.  For most of the trip it has felt like just going through the motions, eat, ride, sleep, repeat.   The hardest part for me on trips like this is coming to grips with the fact that I don't get to see my wife everyday, since she is the highlight of my day. It takes a while to make the transition from "missing her" to "looking forward to seeing her again".   I still miss her, but am really looking forward to meeting up with her in Ecuador.  The stress level has gone down, even though we are finishing up our time in Mexico, and will be crossing the border into Guatemala in a day or so.  Now its time to ride, don't worry about the little things,  just add gas and oil, turn the key, push the button, and twist the throttle. There is just something special about waking up in the morning, and knowing your going to ride motorcycle to someplace you've never been before. 
  Like I said, nothing earth shattering today, but I'm sure that will change.  But it looks like I'll be the one documenting the border crossing,  I wince a bit when I say this, but hopefully I'll have a good story to tell that day.    As always,   here are some pictures to finish up


Good to see renewable energy being generated.

Up in the clouds, and still not at the top

1 comment: