Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Panama



CN - Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday

We got an early start on Monday which is per usual on border crossing days to hopefully make a few clicks into Panama.  We were hoping to get to Panama City on Tuesday to have a bit of a buffer to complete the necessary export paperwork for the Wild Card Sailing on Monday.  From what we had researched the Sixaola border is known to be mellow and a relatively easy crossing - not typical of Central America's usually insanity.  We hit the border before 9am and started the process.  Clearing Costa Rica was relative quick we were over to the Panama entry in under an hour - then it slowed down getting necessary insurance secured and getting our entry permits for the bikes.  That took about 2.5 additional hours pretty much matching our average.  The interesting part came when we were once again "Gaminized" when the gps's sent us on a dirt road crossing several dilapidated bridges.  We were able to ride over the narrow boards for the first several but the last one was so super sketchy we had to walk the bikes across one by one - and even that move was super sketchy as the penalty for a mistake would be a trip ended.  We finally made it to the main road and enjoyed an afternoon of riding over lush mountain passes through the dense fog.  The mountain road finally emptied us into the Pan/Am highway and we made some good miles before the rain and darkness forced us to settle for an overpriced hotel a few kilometers off the highway.  They had the necessities of two beds and a restaurant but nothing more than serving basic needs.  The place actually had decent bones but was physically neglected and service was non-exsistant.  Oh well, only had to deal with it for a night and we have stayed in worse - but for much less.

After a quick breakfast (there was only one choice on the menu - how you wanted your eggs) at the hotel Tuesday morning we set out to to blast through the remaining 400k on the Pan/Am highway to Panama City.  We have two grueling days of paperwork to complete and I want to get to the embassy to get my passport sorted.  The ride was quick and easy only broken up by gas stops and lunch.  On a side note I must say the chicken all through Central America is always brilliant.  As there are no bad tacos in Mexico, there is no bad roasted chicken in CA - incredibly delicious every time.  It has been my go to lunch meal.  We got into Panama City just in time for early rush hour but it wasn't horrible yet.  We got to the zone were we needed to hit the next day for paperwork and found another pretty bad overpriced hotel.  The room was literally a cave in this one.  It had a window that went to nowhere so pitch black w/o the lights day and night.  We unfortunately also had to book it for two nights.  At least it has secured garage parking for the bikes.

Wednesday we left at 6:45am to get to the DIJ by 7:00am to get the bike inspections done.  When we arrived shortly before 7:00am the line was already 25 people deep.  After about an hour we got to the office to present our paperwork and were issued a number for the inspection.  Ken was 27 and I was 28 and 29 was the last number.  The dozen or so people beyond number 29 who as just behind us were all sent home to come back the next day.  Wow, slid by on a close one there.  While waiting we met Stephan from Switzerland traveling overland by van who we found out is on the Wild Card sailing with us on Monday.  He is using a shipper to get his bike to Colombia and told us his agent informed him that Friday was a national holiday and all the government offices were closed.  Sure glad we got here a day early as we were planning to do paperwork (as instructed by the Wild Card) on Thursday/Friday.  Now we have to be in Colon by 9:00am Thursday to do the second part of the process.  Back to the inspection, it took another 3 hours for the inspectors to get to number 27 and 27 so we didn't get done until 11:00am.  We then were all told we need to come back to another office of the DIJ down the street at 2:00pm to pick up our paperwork.  I had a short window to try to deal with my passport

I was told over the phone I needed to be at the US embassy between 10-12 to take a number and try to get my passport renewed - the only times this service is performed.  Luckily the embassy is only 5k from the DIJ and we arrive about 11:15am - still only 45 minutes for me to get through the muck of government.  It took 20 minutes to get past all the security as they all stated I needed an appointment to get in - even though I was told by phone that I could not make an appointment and had to show up between 10-12 and take a number.  Several phone calls got me through and to citizen services to get my number (#20 and they were serving #16 at the only open window) at 11:35am.  I was pretty much sure I would not get anything done at this point.  At 11:55am my number was called and I pled my cast to the agent at the window.  I was requesting an emergency temporary passport good for one year that would get me through the trip.  He said that it would be up to the counselor general if he would grant it and I filled out the necessary form and narrative pleading my case.  I sat down again and a short time later the counselor called me to the window and I pled my case.  He actually got intrigued by our journey by motorcycle to Ushuaia and agreed to issued the emergency passport.  The only hitch is that I need to pick it up on Thursday morning.  We need to be in Colon (1 hour + away) for more paperwork at 9:00am Thursday so this would not be possible.  He agreed to let me come back in the afternoon even though they only take cases until noon daily.

By the time I was finished at the embassy it was 1:00am so we headed back to the DIJ to pick up our paperwork.  More forms and waiting and we finally got our one page document to take to Colon at 4:45pm.  Pretty much a 9 hour day spent for an officer to verify the vin number on the bikes and issue a one page doc - a process that has taken all of 5-10 minutes at every border we have crossed to clear the bikes out of a county.  I just hope Thursday in Colon is quicker so I can get back to the embassy in time to pick up my passport.  Since Friday is a national holiday, the embassy is closed as well.  Embassy workers get both Panamanian and US holiday off - what a great gig!

Tomorrow we head to Colon to finish the paperwork, jet back to Panama City to pick up my passport (hopefully) and then have 4 days to burn before the sailboat leaves for Colombia.  We plan to find a better hotel, check out old town and the canal museum and hopefully get in a canal tour to see the locks.  I did this in 2011 when I was in Panama City for a trade show for work.  The museum and tour of the canal was pretty fascinating if you are into that sort of thing.

No pics as the wifi at our shitty hotel doesn't work.  Will try to catch up on some pictures in the next few days with hopefully better wifi and internet.

Sketchy bridge.
Made it across without screwing up!
Heavy Panama City Traffic



No comments:

Post a Comment