Blog Archive

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Winding down

KS- Friday/Saturday

So its been a different couple days, winding things down, getting ready to start the long journey back to Virginia.  After the air traffic settled down the other night at camp, we were able to get some sleep. Nice spot overlooking the bay, a little bit of trash scattered around, because since it was a free campground, nobody took care of it or provided any facilities.  Which caused the next story.  Since there were no facilities, I decided to take my roll of toilet paper for a walk the next morning. Being a scrub brushy area, there weren't many large trees to hide behind, or lean against, so I picked a suitable spot protected from view from the couple scattered campsites around.  Now remember how I said we were on the flight path, actually on the approach side of the airport.  Well, about that time, with no place to hide, a commercial jet came in for a landing.  Close enough and low enough to where I could have made out startled faces of the passengers on the right side of the plane, if I hadn't just ducked my head and waited for the jet to pass.  Yep, classy travelers we are

After packing up and leaving camp, we rode to La Guarida to meet with Silva and sell our bikes.  I had a buyer lined up from Isreal who was going to continue travelling with it. Salva had found a buyer that was interested in Chips bike, and we all met at the shop that morning.  The buyers checked out there perspective new bikes and asked questions.  Quick test rides seemed to have everyone satisfied to the condition of the bikes.  Then money was exchanged and we all headed off to the Notaria to have sale papers drawn up, being in a bit of a hurry because the Aduana closed early in the afternoon that Friday.  So we were in a time crunch,  and our number we were given as we walked in the door was 57.   After a while, the guy that bought Chips bike,  talked to a couple people, then came back with the number 26,  smiling and saying "magic"  Papers were drawn up, notarized, signed, stamped, and paid for. And off to the customs office we went.  Paperwork on my bike was finished, because my buyer was not from Chile, and the bike was not being imported into the country. After having his Temporary Import Permit cancelled, Chip had to deliver his bike to the customs area of the dock to wait for it to clear for the next buyer, a process that could take a couple weeks.  But not Chip and I were free and clear of our bikes. 

The buyer of my bike also bought a combined luggage setup from us,  Chips rear panniers, my tank bag and duffel bag, and tank panniers  We also loaded him up with spare parts, camp food, and all the miscellaneous items we didnt want to hate to carry back home.  All ready to go,  it was almost a bit emotional seeing my bike leave,  almost.  There are more bikes to be had in the future.  It is a bit of a weird feeling to not have a motorcycle anymore,  after being so used to riding anywhere we wanted, at any time.  Now we were walking, and taking taxis to get around.

Another side effect of not having a motorcycle or motorcycle luggage is you have more stuff to carry around, and nothing to carry it in.  So we took a taxi downtown and found a place that sold luggage. Picked out something cheap and big that has wheels,  all it has to do is get us home.  Once we got back we packed up our piles of gear into our new bags.  A helmet, boots, and armored riding pants and jacket liner take up a lot of room.  Everything is going to fit for the trip home, but I will be wearing my riding jacket through the airport, mainly because its comfortable, and has enough pockets to store everything. Just to be nice to fellow passengers, and increase my odds of making it through airport security, I'm washing the jacket before we leave. 

So here we are, hanging out in Punta Arenas Chile, waiting  for our flights on Monday.  Not exactly an exciting place to hang out, but waiting till Monday to fly out, saves us several hundred dollars.  We did meet back up with Dick who is riding down to Ushuaia today to finish his journey south before he comes back to town to sell his bike and head back to Holland.  Good thing is, I'll be back home in time to take my wife out for her birthday on Tuesday.

Until then, I'm just passing time, trying to wrap my head around everything that has happened since pulling out of my driveway in Virginia over 3 months ago.  Its raining, and much cooler than yesterday, so once I get done writing this, my to do list is pretty much wrapped up for the day.  Maybe we'll try to find a place to watch the Superbowl today, that could be a challenge as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment